Monday 29 October 2012

Friends and colleagues send their heartfelt thoughts:

David Hartt: October 20, 2012

My heart sank today when I read of Marc's untimely passing in the online obituaries.

I went to Ecole Secondaire Theriault with Marc; we were in the same music class for all of high school. In Grade 9 we formed a group for a talent show, but, since we weren't allowed to sing English songs, we performed an instrumental version of Styx's "Come Sail Away". I was on piano, Marc was on trumpet, Danielle Grenier played the flute, Moe Robitaille played bass, Kirk Cameron on guitar and if memory serves me correctly, Darcy Rowan on drums. I doubt something like that would fly today but 36 years ago it went over really well.

We also played in the school band and the stage band together. I remember Marc as being the consummate musician/multi instrumentalist, always wanting to learn more and expand his horizons. He had a real love and appreciation of Jazz back in those days, he tried to get me interested in it but my head was far too busy with pop music to spend the time and energy to understand something so esoteric. I often regret not listening to him on that one.

Marc never said a bad word about anyone; he encouraged people to engage with music. While we were more acquaintances than friends I'm sorry I lost touch with him after high school. It's been at least 20 years since we last spoke. I feel lucky to have known him and I'm saddened that I will never get to see him play. He was one of the good guys.


Kate Hurman: October 22, 2012

I will miss your smile, your laugh, your lovely hair. I was lucky to get to work with you so many times. Your music always helped me lift the words. Thank you for your attention to detail, your artistry and your friendship.

Love,   Kate.


Martha Henry: October 23, 2012

Trish – I’m afraid I don’t have any “stories”, per se, but remember well how incredibly impressed I was, the first time – of 2 times – I worked with Marc in Marti’s production of The Trojan Women to see him coming into rehearsals almost daily, just to listen, watch and sense what was needed. I had never experienced a musician connected with a show to do that (other than in Robin Phillips’ rehearsals). How sensitive he was to what was going on – and then the “music” or “sound” seemed to emerge organically from the rehearsal hall. Inspiring and impressive. SO helpful to the actor – and finally essential to the production. He was unique – unbelievably gifted – and skilled. His work on Three Sisters will never be bettered. We’re all honoured to have known and worked with such a master.
My condolences to you; I’ve been thinking of you daily.
With the warmest regards,
 
Martha

Tara Haddrell: October 27, 2012

Such a lovely man, always friendly and good humoured. An amazing musician with exceptional talent. Marc was a great inspiration to the kids and all in the community who knew him. He will be dearly missed.
With love, 

Nick,Tara, Claudine and Maisie Haddrell-Anning


No comments:

Post a Comment