Sunday 18 November 2012

Sympathetic words from a couple of collegues of Marc's: November 16, 2012

Timm Hughes writes:

I am very saddened by this most unwelcome news.

I had the great pleasure of working with Marc in 'A Seaway Story' at Upper Canada Playhouse in 1993. As I recall it was one of the first plays in which he was coerced into acting as well as fulfilling his considerable MD responsibilities. I was delighted to be asked to play (by Marc once he learned I had middling capabilities) on stage, not just guitar but the recorder and sundry other percussive stuff. It was a treat.


Above all I remember the laughs we had, some, but by no means all, confined to the rehearsal period where they belonged, playing some of the wacky characters of the early part of the play.


Regrettably, our professional careers never crossed paths again.

I will miss him.

Timm Hughes

Helen Himms writes: 

Hello there

My name is Helen Himsl. I am assuming I am writing to Marc's wife, Trish, as I know Marc had a few different email addresses (hotmail, sympatico, then gmail) with made62marc. I thought I would drop you a line and send my warm wishes to you.
 
I cannot imagine what you are going through and my heartfelt condolences go out to you. That Marc created such beautiful music was a bonus, but really his heart was great, and he was a beautiful person.
 
I used to be a stage manager. I met Marc initially in Corner Brook, NL (where I am again now. These days I am a teacher). I was the resident stage manager at Theatre Newfoundland Labrador, and Marc had come into town to do the sound design and to play Screamin' John in Rock and Roll. We became fast friends during the show, and in fact he became fast friends with all of us including Elinor Benjamin and Ron Richards, who he had stayed with. Elinor and I would often chat about him years later - she had taken him hiking and he had helped she and Ron paint their house while they stayed there. That was Marc.
 
My theatre career moved out of Newfoundland soon after that, and a few years later I bumped into Marc again, at Canadian Stage, and then again at Stratford. It was great to see Marc doing so well (although certainly no surprise to me as I thought he was wonderful from the start) and it was neat to have that connection with someone who I had done a little show with years before.

I went back and read through some old emails from him when I found out he had passed. Mostly, just Christmas greetings and/or letting me (and others) know when he had moved. I had forgotten though (until I re-read it) how he had helped me with putting together a presentation for a Romeo and Juliet university project. (I had Marc, Peter Hinton and Charlotte Dean helping me on the side lines. What a team). This was Marc. Kind, helpful, smart and humble, and truly a nice guy.

The world is surely a sadder place without him.
 
Cheers and best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment