Sunday 4 November 2012

Jaime Desormeaux, Marc and Trish's niece, shares her thoughts of a trip to the Yukon she took with them when she was 10 years old: November 4, 2012

My trip with uncle Marky and Trish was unforgettable.

It started at a dinner at Mamie's (my Grandmother) about a week before we left. Trish jokingly said wouldn't it be great if you came and I jumped all over the idea. So did my Dad. My Mom who had never met Trish decided upon it, knowing Marc, she would let her daughter at the age of 10 go off for 7 weeks to the Yukon.

 A week later we embarked into uncle Marky’s jeep with me and Kena (Trish’s dog) in the back seat. We left to start an adventure. The trip wasn't perfect we had a few incidences; like all our clothes getting soaked, uncle Marky's laptop being taken, and our cooler turning into a heater, but that’s what made it even better.

Looking back on the trip now, I realize how that trip changed me. They didn't just take me on a trip, they showed me their way of life. The long nights, the travelling, the types of things you get to experience when you’re not tied down to a 9 -5 job. It opened my eyes to something different, and I owe it all to them.

I also got to know my uncle more on this trip. Hear stories of him growing up, listen to the songs he liked, see the spots he found breath taking, and in return I got to be called his "rent a kid " for a couple of weeks.

They both taught me a lot of things too; like enjoying the moment, not really having a specific plan but just knowing you are going somewhere, cooking healthy meals in a hotel room (Trish), sneaking me out for ice cream ( uncle Marky ). That summer, I got a glimpse into their lives and that's also the summer where I started thinking of Trish as my aunt Trish, because she was, and is always going to be my aunt.

Just like uncle Marky will always be my uncle, and even though we never got to go on a second trip to the Yukon, the "lessons" and adventures he taught me were priceless, and forever embedded in my memory. I miss him, everyday and family gatherings are not the same without his presence, the noises he makes, his music and just generally him. As my Dad has told me, he lives in us now. I hope we’re making you proud.

I love you X100000000000

Jaime


 
 
 
 
 


 

1 comment:

  1. Jaime,
    I do hope you don't mind but I've "stolen" a couple of these photos to post on my Facebook page. I loved your Uncle Marky and we worked together at the National Arts Centre.
    Love
    Gil Osborne Woodstrom

    ReplyDelete